Sunday, February 26, 2012

Great Day!

So my day started off with a walk around downtown Dallas with my wife.  I woke up earlier than I would have for a Saturday I'm not working, so I took a nap when I got home.  That explains why I am posting this blog at 1:59 am.  However, I digress.

So, my wife is into hiking and I am into photography, so we went on an urban hike today.  It was a bright sunny day with no clouds, so that meant I would be walking in and out of shadows all day.  That is pretty tough to keep adjusting the camera settings, but it is a great photographic challenge.

I have lived in Dallas for the past 9 years and I have to admit that I have never taken the time to see all that this city has to offer in terms of statues, buildings, etc.  Here is what I found.

1/500 Sec. Exp., F/5.6, 120mm, ISO 100
1/200 Sec. Exp., F/5.6, 17mm, ISO 100
This is the flag flying at Dealey Plaza where President Kennedy was shot.

The Kennedy Memorial in Downtown Dallas.

1.6 Sec. Exp., F/16, 26mm, ISO 100
This is at Fountain Place.  A very nice glass building with fountains all over the place.  This is another place I will visit again in the spring when they have all the fountains turned on and the trees are in bloom.  I propped the camera up on a column so I could slow the shutter down without shaking the camera.  It helps to be creative.
1/125 Sec. Exp., F/5.6, 90mm, ISO 100
1/125 Sec. Exp., F/5.6, 90mm, ISO 100



I liked these two pictures because the building I was photographing had many mirrored glass panels that made anything reflecting in it look like a mosaic.  I thought that was a pretty cool looking effect.
1/250 Sec. Exp., F/3.5, 17mm, ISO 100
 
1/400 Sec. Exp., F/3.5, 17mm, ISO 100
 This is the Fallen Police Officer's Memorial.  It is designed with the fallen officers' badge numbers cut in a "mirror reverse" so that when the sun hits the top, the badge numbers are illuminated on the ground as shown.  Very creative and a very fitting tribute to those who have died protecting our city.


1/250 Sec. Exp, F/5, 55mm, ISO 100
1/250 Sec. Exp, F/4, 17mm, ISO 100
 This is a very large multi-statue tribute to Dallas' cattle driving past.  The path of these bronze cattle follow part of the path of the historic Chisholm trail.



The picture on the left I thought was a nice composition of a shadow and a reflection.  I think it also is a show of Texas' ranching / wild west past with its big city, technological present.

The picture on the right is the trail end of this cattle drive.  I got down low to get this shot.  All in all, I would estimate that there are about 3 dozen cattle and three mounted cowboys in this cattle drive.


So that is all for now.  I'll be going out soon to take my weekly sunrise picture.  Until next time...












No comments:

Post a Comment