Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Summer Sunrises

Summer is upon us and the sun comes up earlier and earlier each week.  I am almost half way through the year and it has been hard but fun.  Week after week, I have to be more and more creative about where I go for my sunrises.  Other than that, the knowledge I've gained about my camera throughout this year has been invaluable.  Luckily, June 21 is the longest day of the year and that means the sun starts coming up later and later from that point on.  That means more sleep for me.


This post includes this week's and last week's sunrises.  June 3rd, I went to a DART station underneath the George Bush Turnpike where it crosses U.S. 75.  I chose this area, because of the train that would be going by and the shadows caused by the highways meeting.

The top two pictures are HDR shots.  These columns have ivy growing on them and the contrast of the green against the concrete looked great.  Plus, there was great color in the sky.


As I was getting ready to leave, I noticed the columns in the picture to the left.  The way they seem to disappear is great.  I used a small aperture to keep the distance in focus.  To the right is the DART train going by.  It caught me by surprise.  I wanted to wait for another one, so I could set up a shot, but the next train was 30 minutes away and I needed sleep.  I'll save it for another time.



That brings me to June 10.  I went to a park near my house.  My vision here was to shoot the basketball courts against the sunrise.  Unfortunately, there was a large tree in the way that blocked the sky from that angle.  Luckily there was great color in the sky to make up for it.......


......Unfortunately, my morning was cut short by Mother Nature.  As I was walking to a different area of the park, something flew pretty close to me.  At first I thought it was a bird and that I had gotten too close to its nest.  I got buzzed a couple more times and at that point I realized that there were two or three bats flying around me.  Crazy, but true.  At that point, I realized it was time to pack it up and go home.

So, to date, I have encountered a Bobcat, two Beavers and 3 Bats....  At this rate, I will be meeting 4 Bears before the end of the year.  Hopefully that will NOT happen, but we'll see.  Wish me luck this Sunday.


Until next time...



No comments:

Post a Comment